Based on the popular Code Conforming Wood Design (CCWD), a joint publication of the American Wood Council (AWC) and the International Code Council (ICC), this presentation concisely summarizes the 2018 International Building Code (IBC) for commercial and multi-family residential construction.
It will explain the determination of maximum building size for eight common use groups using the height and area tables of the 2018 IBC and pre-calculated tables provided in the CCWD. It will also address establishing fire resistance for wood assemblies and heavy timber; special provisions for pedestal buildings; criteria for finishes, appendages, and other wood features; the scoping of referenced wood design standards; an overview of structural provisions in Chapter 23; and requirements for precautions during construction.Participants may download a complimentary copy of the CCWD at:http://www.awc.org/codes/ccwdindex.html
1. Identify maximum building size and use parameters for wood as the primary structural elements
2. Identify the sources of structural provisions when using wood as the structural frame.
3. Identify special provisions for design of wood structures that involve compartmentalization and sprinkler systems.
4. Identify methods specified by the code for establishing fire resistance of wood assemblies and elements, and fire precautions during construction
5. Apply code provisions for the non-structural use of wood in buildings, such as for finishes, appendages, siding, and trim
Date: Thursday, August 15, 2019
Two Times Available: 10:55am – 12:30pm EST or 1:55pm – 3:30pm EST